BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 31, 2011

I was wondering

I've recently been thinking about starting my own little business, and when I say little I really do mean it. I have often wondered to myself, in my unemployed state, what am I good at, or what talents do I have? I guess thinking that should be the direction to head for in looking for real work. I've toyed with the idea a few times in  my head of starting to teach beginners guitar. It hasn't really gone past the idea, though recently I've had a few people ask me if I knew a good place that teaches guitar lessons. I really wouldn't know where to begin seeing as the few people I have had the chance to teach were just around so it made it easy. I mean, what's the going rate for that kind of stuff anyways, and how would I even get it out there. I'm fully confident in my beginners teaching ability because I have seen success, but where do I start? Hmmmmmm.... Oh yeah, went bowling and broke 100! Alright!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Mom and Dad both teach/taught music lessons...they'd know where to start.

You can advertise on craigslist. But also you can put up flyers at the places where the band plays.

Oh yeah, good job on bowling!

Erin IG said...

Wow! Sweet bowling score! You have such pretty ball action. :)

With respects to Guitar Lessons, my friend Jenn has her son Aidan take piano lessons and they are $75 each lesson. Each lesson is an hour and a half long. He goes weekly. So even if you did 3 per day, that would be 4.5 hours of work for $225 per day. I would think that most of your lessons would be given to younguns, so your hours would begin when school is over and last til 8 or 9. You could probably do extra lessons over the weekend, but on average I would say that you'd only work 3 week days. Now on top of that, you would need to purchase insurance including sexual abuse and molestation coverage. No, I don't think that you are a perv; however, parents are crazy, as are kids sometimes, or maybe even a teenage girl who thinks you are cute. Bottom line, the coverage will provide you with some comfort should any of the crazy parents say anything. Or you could just agree to teach adults.

Where would you teach them? Would you need to rent out a space? If that's the case, you would need general liability coverage and coverage for personal property, such as guitars, etc. I'm sorry. I approach everything from an insurance aspect. :)

I think you would be an awesome guitar instructor! You should consider doing it on the side here and there and see if you like it or find it tedious. Sometimes if you turn a passion or hobby into a job, you come to despise it. But a small side job probably won't be as life changing.

I will shut up now. :)